From:Dave Hennessey e-mail:dave-A-toyhouse.org
Subject:RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Gel cell power Date:Sat Sep 15 00:00:22 2012
Response to:17830
Ron,

Crushed or shaved ice works better than cubes. But it really doesn't matter as long as it's ice made from distilled water ;-)

Slow charging has a couple of benefits besides avoiding overheating and the resultant warped plates.

Quick charging only gives a charge that is "skin deep" on the plates. Slow charging allows the charge to permeate into the interior of the plates. That doesn't sound too scientific, but here's an example. If you leave your car headlights on in a parking lot, and get a jump start, your car's alternator will give the battery a quick charge on the way home. But you'd better not turn your car off till you get home, because the "skin deep" charge probably won't start it again. But if you make it home and put it on the slow charger overnight, you'll be good to go for a long time.

Plain language version - good food is not fast - and fast food is not good.

The other benefit is reviving an old battery. When a battery gets discharged, both positive and negative plates slowly turn into lead sulfate (that white stuff) from the outside in. The plates start out as plain lead, and the sulfate comes from the sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid, minus sulfate becomes just water. Thais is called sulfation.

Recharging the battery turns the positive plate into lead oxide, the negative plate into plain lead, and the water back into sulfuric acid. Woosh!

If you leave your headlights on overnight, the sulfation's only skin deep, and you can easily recharge the battery. But - over time, the sulfate slowly changes from something that easily re-dissolves into something that's as hard as a rock. So, if you let a battery stay discharged for 20 years, the sulfation's deeply permeated each plate, and is rock-solid. Boat anchor.

When you spill red wine on your white shirt, you should immediately pour club soda on it before it gets a chance to "set", otherwise your shirt's a goner.

If you let your bike sit for only two or three or five years, you've got a fighting chance if you use a slow charger - the lead sulfate may still be in an amorphous state, and the sulfate will SLOWLY re-dissolve into the water.

Blasting it with that 10-amp car charger will just "set" the sulfate into something only nuclear weapons can dislodge. Even with ice cubes.

Dave



----- ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS -----
What happens if you charge a small battery with a big charger in a bucket of ice?---
Will the internal damage be prevented?