Subject:RE: RE: RE: RE: What Do I Have (3) Date:Mon Aug 13 15:43:29 2012
Response to:17674
I wish i did, but it didn't seem important to the 12-year old me 40 years

If you happen to have a title laying around, I would be interested ;=


CJ,do you have a title to go with that motor?
Wow - I really must have misunderstood. I was looking at Mutt's post

It looked like to me that the number part of the letter / number pair was
down by the tank bracket and the letter was by the head tube. Looking at it
again, the "L" on mine looks more like a "7" than the "L" in Mutt's picture.
Did Harley change things that often?

How much difference would it make on the value if I used the '56 motor, the
frame I have and changed out the rims for 18"?

I kind of hate to spend the time and effort to restore it if everthing matching
is really critical.



I could be wrong, but it looks like I 7, That would indicate the frame was
made Sept. of 57'. The original frame may have been damaged in its first
year of life and needed to be replaced. When I was young I nearly destroyed
a new bike the first year I had it, so this makes sense to me. The wheels
may have been changed in the same incident that damaged the frame. I
would think used 19" wheels would have been readily avialable at the time,
so that would explain that also. This is what made the Hummers and the
ST's so practical, all the major parts interchanged. As far as I can tell, my
56 ST has parts from five different Years. It was rode hard and put up wet
its entire life. Hope this helps. Good luck.
OK - so if I understand, the first picture with the "1 and L" indicate that my
frame is from December of 1951. The frame has teleglide forks and 19"

The second picture, "47 54-53" is just a casting number, right?

The third picture (the engine SN) indicates that the engine is a 1956 ST.

So the question is, what should I do?

It doesn't look like the 165 was produced until 1953, so if I use my engine, I
need to get a 1956 frame and 18" wheels, assuming I am going to restore
this one 'correctly'.

Any opinions would be appreciated