From:Dave Hennessey
Subject:RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: title Date:Mon Dec 7 12:28:59 2015
Response to:20886
I need to get a title for a 57 b any ideas or thoughts thank you in advance
Keep On Humming

My understanding is that Ohio is one of the most difficult states to get a title for a vehicle that does not have one. It is going to take a lot of work and money to get one.

Take a look at this unfinished 2-part article I wrote for one of our sister sites:

Read the whole article before continuing...

The first thing to do is to go to your local DMV and tell them "I've got a problem, can you help me?" Having read the article beforehand, you'll be prepared to ask intelligent questions. However, in Ohio, the DMV's answers may be No, No, and No.

Try calling these people.
They are some nationwide company, and I DO NOT KNOW if they ARE reputable OR NOT. But the phone call will cost you nothing, and you should be able to get information from them about what they charge, and most importantly, exactly what they will give you. File this for future reference.

The last person I spoke to in Ohio did it through the Judicial Decree method. Expensive, yes. But the alternatives might be worse.

Explore all the methods I mentioned in the article - both in Ohio, and in neighboring states where you have a really good friend or relative. Then pick the best one and go for it.

There is no easy answer to your question. You're going to have to do the research yourself. But by all means - get going and do it now - while it's still possible.


One thing I left out of the article is "Bonded Title" under DMV Administrative Procedures. Some states offer this.

You take your Bill of Sale to the DMV. They calculate a bond amount that you must post with them, or pay a surety company to post the bond. The bond is often 150% or 200% of the value of the vehicle. They issue you a title stamped "Bonded". After several years (often three), they return your bond, and you get a regular title.

You can sell the vehicle during those three years with the bonded title, but guess what - the purchaser's state may not accept it. So the bonded title is only good if you're planning to keep the bike for a number of years.