Flush the Tranny?

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Flush the Tranny?

Postby sevens0n » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:03 pm

Hello All....
I have the clutch and the left side of my 61 super 10 off. Question for you guys is... Would it be a good idea to flush out the gearcase with something? The oil was changed recently but there was still quite a bit of black goop inside the cover. Just my thought, that it would be good idea to try to clean out the inside of the gearcase? Maybe with mineral spirits or something.
Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks !!
Brian
As a prerequisite to mechanical aptitude, one must develop an instinctual understanding of the many aspects of Murphy's law.
sevens0n

Re: Flush the Tranny?

Postby 250_Sprint » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:54 am

It is ALWAYS a good idea to keep the gears running smoothly, especially in old machines.
These were not designed to be rock crushers. haha

I have found it efficient to remove the heavy residue with the aid of a tool which can dig out the heavy stuff then follow up with rags and cotton swabs. Solvent will work faster and we all have our preferences for our own reasons. Sometimes it is ‘what’s on the shelf’.
Whatever solvent you choose, rinse with fresh oil.
I don’t use a solvent. I use rags, cotton swabs and an assortment of probes to clean. Yes, it takes time and elbow grease, but when I am done, the area is clean and shiny.
250_Sprint

Postby troymessina » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:27 am

Is this considered periodic maintenance? If so, how often/how many miles between transmission cleanings? I think the manual says something about oil changes but not cleanings.
troymessina

Postby 250_Sprint » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:30 pm

CLEANING is not part of ‘regular’ maintenance. Changing the oil is regular maintenance.
The maintenance schedules for these motorcycles are based on daily use. I doubt we will be putting those kinds of miles on these motorcycles.
The oil in the transmission will not get as dirty as fast as engine oil in a 4-stroke. My book calls for changing the transmission oil every 750 miles or 6 months. I’d be changing clean oil every 6 months with the use my motorcycle will see.
Be your own judge.
Change when you feel it is time.
Clean when you feel it is time.
Riding long, hard and putting on the miles is what requires the oil to be serviced.
Dirty, dusty and wet conditions will take their toll on oil.
You can’t go wrong following the service recommendations for your model and year.

Enjoy the Ride.
250_Sprint

Postby sevens0n » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:47 pm

Thanks...
I decided to not mess with trying to rinse out the gearcase. Everything that is accessible with the clutch cover off, will obviously be clean. Things seemed to be fine before I started working on it, so it can't be that bad. Will have new oil. Not only that, but I can also just change the oil again if it looks dirty.

Maybe if it had been sitting around forever and was really funky, I would consider it...
Thanks....
Brian
As a prerequisite to mechanical aptitude, one must develop an instinctual understanding of the many aspects of Murphy's law.
sevens0n

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running