Engine assembly

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Engine assembly

Postby Emerica1975 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:59 am

I’m putting my 1956st Engine back together. The crank was rebuilt by Mutt and it looks like new!! Anyway I’m having trouble getting the case halves to go together I’m pretty sure the last time I had this problem I posted here about it and I think someone said to remove the locate dowels before assembly. But if that’s the case can someone refresh my memory on what size punch and if heat is ok to use. Thanks!
Emerica1975

Re: Engine assembly

Postby Emerica1975 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:36 am

Never mind. I got the locating dowels out. I used an old door hinge pin from a 90’s Chevy truck (it fit perfect) and a little heat and the dowels went right out. Now I think the cases will go back together easily. And then a little heat again? I guess and the dowels should go back in.
Emerica1975

Re: Engine assembly

Postby 250_Sprint » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:10 pm

I would recommend reinstalling the dowels in the same holes they came from, making sure you are putting the correct end of the dowel in the hole it came from in case there is a diameter difference, because I don’t know if there is a difference.
Once the proper dowel end is install in the hole it came from, I would recommend cleaning both the outside diameter of the exposed dowel AND inside diameter of the hole in the case the exposed dowel will be installed.
Test fit the case halves BEFORE installing any case parts to make sure the halves slip together. Heat or excessive force should not be required.
Something to keep in mind when working with these old parts, they are old parts and can be broken.
Also, the factory was of the mind set to make assembling fast and easy. If you are having difficulty assembling ANYTHING, you must be doing something wrong. Don’t force assembling. Stuff breaks, either during assembling or while in use due to weakening during rough assembling.
Assembling, disassembling and assembling again can cause damage, be costly $$$, and cause undue frustration. Think like the assembly line worker who assembled this 60/70 years ago. It should go together with ease.
Learn and have fun doing this….
250_Sprint

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running