Bead blast media ?

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Bead blast media ?

Postby sureshotbob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:29 pm

O/K I just got a media blast cabinet to clean up some small parts From Harbor Freight.
What is the best type off media for doing metal parts like the battery box and wheel hubs ?
Also do you use a different media for the aluminum parts.
Thanks in advance.
sureshotbob

Re: Bead blast media ?

Postby Mutt » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:10 pm

extra fine glass beads, use it on all metal parts
Mutt

Postby hennesse » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:22 pm

I've been using Ballotini glass beads, 50-70 sieve, Grainger #6ZC14 for most everything.

On really tough painted painted or badly rusted surfaces, I'm using Black Diamond from Tractor Supply. It's pretty aggressive, so I try to get the tough stuff loose, then switch to the glass beads. A better choice might be Ballotini Ground Glass, 25-40 sieve, Grainger #6ZC15

Since this stuff comes in 50 lb pails or bags, you really need to find a local source of supply, as shipping would be really expensive.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby sureshotbob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks guy's !
sureshotbob

Postby Brent » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:27 pm

Be sure and buy a number of rebuild parts... like nozzles and a couple of guns as these parts wear out quickly. Ceramic nozzles are better than the steel ones because they last longer. Don't expect the bead cabinet to work miracles... it takes time to blast parts. When it seems like it's taking 'forever' then your 'bead' is worn out and you're just recirculating dust. Dump it and buy more. Also pick yourself up sheets of plexi-glass and cut them to put on the inside of your 'window'. Once the window gets blasted over you have to replace the glass. Much easier to replace a piece of plexi-glass. If you have a light bulb in it replace it with a rough service bulb but expect it to get blasted. Also expect, after a lot of use, that the vacuum motor will need replacing....grit is grit. None of this is meant to discourage you. It's all part of using a bead blast cabinet. They're wonderful.
Brent

Postby stans48s » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:53 pm

Wear some sort of respirator. I doubt you will find one for sand, or beed blasting, but get something fairly good anyway for dust. It will help, if you strip the parts with paint stripper first, it makes the blasting easier. Stan
stans48s

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running