Cleaning inside a gas tank

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Cleaning inside a gas tank

Postby sureshotbob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:11 pm

I just picked up a pretty nice gas tank for my 48 build . I know it's not correct as it's the type with the long rear mount and the front mount is welded to the front outside of the tunnel . It has very little light rust inside my question is should I clean it and use a sealer or just clean and let it be ? I payed about $50.00 more than I wanted but can live with that a it's in the best condition I've seen so far.
sureshotbob

Re: Cleaning inside a gas tank

Postby Mutt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:00 pm

Bob, ya should have checked with me. I think I have a 48-49 tank.

I would clean it and pressure test it with 2-3 psi of pressure in a sink full of water If it doesn't leak, I wouldn't seal it

Mutt
Mutt

Postby Keith Hummer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:25 pm

But if you do decide to seal it DO NOT use Cream tank sealer or any other sealers unless you want to have to clean it out and reseal. I have used Caswell's epoxy tank seal on many tanks and have had nothing but excellent results. It will seal pin holes, split seams and rust holes to a certain degree. caswellplating.com. Get your tank up to the point of painting before sealing.
Keith Hummer

Postby sureshotbob » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:38 am

I picked up some Evaporust to clean out the very fine rust out of my gas tank .
But was wondering what you guy's do to seal the gas cap filler to do a pressure test as I believe the cap is vented ?
I'll use the petcock port to put in a few pounds of air into the tank.
The tank is in really good shape but I want to make sure it's good before painting it.
I read up on the sealer from Caswell plating recommended by Keith Hummer and if it needs to be sealed that's what I'll use.
sureshotbob

Postby sureshotbob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:13 pm

Well sense nobody replied about how to cap off the gas cap to do a air pressure test on my gas tank I got thinking { sometimes a dangerous thing }
Being a retired Sprinkler fitter I took a 2" rubber test cap used on PVC piping and it fit perfectly over the filler neck . I snugged up the hose clamp and did a simple blow back test and it seems to be holding fine next I'll pump a couple of pounds of air into the tank and put it into a tank of water to make sure it holds air with no leaks .
sureshotbob

Postby bobscogin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Good idea. I use a length of bicycle inner tube with the stem still in it, seal off one end, and clamp the other end over the filler neck. Inflate the tube to a couple of psi and it gives additional volume for the leak test.

Bob
bobscogin

Postby sureshotbob » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Well I did the pressure test today and found a pin hole by the front left tank mount. It looks like I'll bead blast the area to clean it and have a very good friend that is a pro that can do any type of welding weld it up.
After I'll do another pressure test then bead blast the rest of the tank to prep. it for paint.
sureshotbob

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running