Headlight spring clips

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Headlight spring clips

Postby Tvshooter » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Can someone post or send a picture of how the spring clips go in a 1962 Pacer headlight? Also-anyone in the Atlanta area that is knowledgable about Harley lightweights? I'm having some issues that can probably be fixed easily by someone that has a history with these bikes. I get it running, then it's dead, runs, takes forever to start, then runs like a champ for awhile, then tough to start. Can't seem to pin point any one thing.

Richard Campbell
Atlanta, GA
tvshooter@comcast.net
Tvshooter

Re: Headlight spring clips

Postby Mutt » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:31 pm

from a cold motor, tell us EXACTLY how you try to start it. If you can ride it for 6 miles trouble free, then it not crank at all, you're probably flooding it.
Mutt

Postby Tvshooter » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:24 pm

I should have been a bit clearer....once it's started, and the engine is warm, it starts within a couple kicks. I ran it 6 miles, came home shut it off, cut the fuel off, and next day it's a bitch to crank. Sometimes it's sitting a day or so, and starts fine, others it takes forever.

My order of starting is, give it a soft kick, turn the fuel on, choke, and then kick. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's forever. Couple times, when it's not starting, I do a push start, and if it doesn't actually start, it usually will then kick over. If there's a specific starting procedure, let me know. These things are to much fun to not be riding!
Tvshooter

Postby Mutt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:17 am

when ya choke it, how long do ya leave the choke on? (how many kicks)
Mutt

Postby Tvshooter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:42 am

2 or 3. Trying not to flood it.

Do you have a picture of how the spring clips fit into the headlight assembly? I thought I had taken a picture or it before disassembly and realized I didn't. :roll:
Then of course I dropped the lens and it broke, so waiting on a new lens.
I'll get there one day. ;)
Tvshooter

Postby Mutt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:18 am

These motors flood easily with the Tillotson carbs. After 2 or 3 kicks with the choke on, ya got to leave it off after that or it will flood and be a pain in the but to get started

I'll see if I can get ya a pic of the headlamp lens and clip pic ya need.
Mutt

Postby Tvshooter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:52 am

I replaced the Tillotson MT42 with a Mikuni VM22. Once it gets going, runs great. I'll use the Tillotson for show, but use the Mikuni for go.
Tvshooter

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running