Windshield from my ST

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Windshield from my ST

Postby badger34 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:02 am

This windshield was fitted to my '56 ST and it has been with the cycle since very early on. The lower mounting brackets though appear non-factory to me judging by the weld seams hopefully visible in the close-up photo. The windshield itself appears to be a H-D factory piece, it's 17" wide by 23" tall. I'm not finding much information on accessory windshields but I'm really just beginning to look into this. Any info/knowledge would be appreciated.
Last edited by badger34 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badger34

Re: Windshield from my ST

Postby d63299 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:37 pm

Windshields:

I had an original I used for copying to make the reproduction windshields some 10 years ago. The mounting brackets were/are totally different for the 48-50 girder fork type. The early brackets mounted to the handlebars and the late type
mounted to the teleglide fork assembly. There were no welds on any part of the windshield bracket assemblies.
I was able to do an exact copy of all the windshield parts except for the beaded rim on the shield for which I did not find a good solution so it remains as a non beaded part. The windshield you show in the picture appears to be a
reproduction or a one-off.

Duane Taylor
d63299

Re: Windshield from my ST

Postby badger34 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:08 pm

I think that I have figured out the mounting bracket source, it looks like they were originally pt# 58075-52 brackets that were modified or repaired. I would guess most likely modified by my grandfather because I have a photo from 1959 of this windshield assembly in it's current configuration mounted on the cycle, so what work was done happened very early on.
badger34

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running