Starting motor after long storage

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Starting motor after long storage

Postby gpope19 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:52 pm

Hi to everyone! As Brent posted earlier, my name is Glenn Pope and I have just rejoined the HHC after a very long time away from it. Part of the problem was acquiring my two Pacers from a dying brother who I was very close to. I couldn't work on the bikes without thinking of him. Then I got involved for many years in the 39-47 Dodge Truck Forum. But now my truck is finally up to par and I want to get these two '65 Pacers running. They have both sat for 20 years in my garage without ever being started. and who knows how long before I got them, since Steve never got the chance to run them. I'm planning on starting the blue bike first and have already drained out the old gas and will soon disassemble the carb to make sure it is clean. I planned to fill the tank with fresh gas/oil, disconnect the spark, close the choke and vigorously crank the motor for an extended period to get lube to the internal parts before starting. Is that a flawed idea? I did think of lifting the cylinder up and spraying lube on the piston area and down into the rod and flywheel but don't know if that is necessary or not or if I might be neglecting other key areas that would suffer from a dry start. Any ideas on this would be appreciated. Glenn,Utah,'65 Pacer,
gpope19

Re: Starting motor after long storage

Postby Brianpaul21 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:38 pm

Hello all. I am in a very similar situation and would love some advice from one of you two stroke experts if you have a moment to chime in on starting an engine that has sat for yonks. Glenn, how did you go? Any learning moments getting your engine going again?

Thanks,

Brian
Brianpaul21

Re: Starting motor after long storage

Postby gpope19 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:30 pm

Hi Brian, I solved the problem for one of my Pacers by determining that the engine needed to be rebuilt and the bearings have all been lubed well by the builder. But the other Pacer is still a ways from starting though I've been making progress. I still plan on priming the crankcase with an oil rich mixture before connecting the spark plug to start it up. My main problem is that we are having a really hot summer here in Utah and my garage is too hot to work in. I'm trying to get a suitable air conditioning unit to solve that problem. Good luck on starting your bike. I'll try to post any success I encounter with this issue. Glenn, UT, (2) 1965 Pacers
gpope19

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running