Clutch cable inner core too long

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Clutch cable inner core too long

Postby MrMarty51 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:29 am

Or am I missing something ?
I looked through the parts book and I see no adjuster for the clutch cable.
The only way I can get it close to being proper is by turning the ferrel in the handlebar clutch lever backwards, then, it will still grind going into gear.
Am I missing something here or do I have something installed bassakwards ?
Well crap. I cant get the pics down small enough to get them posted into the thread.
If anyone answers the call, send me a text message to 40six eight 53 1921
Thank You
Martin
MrMarty51

Re: Clutch cable inner core too long

Postby HarryM » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 pm

Try the Clutch adjusting screw on right side cover. Or missing clutch operating rod or too short. Harry
HarryM

Postby MrMarty51 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:32 pm

Harry
I will check that all out, next time i get the motorcicle into the garage.
When I took the bike out of the garage. Went for a bit of a ride on it. That felt mighty fine and with the work Mutt did on the engine it has a lot more power than I remember it having back in the 60s.
After driving it, i parked it in front of the storage shed, engine idling, walked across over to the garage to get the phone for to use the camera, get a couple pics of it setting out in the sunshine.
Walking back towards the bike, not being able to see it through another shed, i could hear the engine had quit running, no big deal, got to a position where I could get a visual and to My horror, the bike had fallen over.
Got over to where it was laying, picked it up and yuppers, You guessed it, the clutch hand lever had broke off at the end.
Welp, guess I will see about getting another of those ordered. Too bad because the clamping devices and the hand levers are brand new. Oh well, such is life.
MrMarty51

Postby MrMarty51 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:12 pm

Did not get back to doing anything about the clutch system on the little motorcicle. I did get on Duane Taylors website and got the part numbers for the clutch push rods and will call Him, possibly tomorrow, and get those components on their way.
Dont know how soon I’ll get it back into the garage. Have a 1974 Triumph T-150 Trident on the lift table for a while yet. Get that gone then maybe after getting the motormounts on My truck replaced I could possibly get the little motorcicle into there.
My youngest grandson in Alaska, He is 12 YO has taken quite an interest in the little machine. After getting the clutch tuned on it, might have to load it up and take it for a drive over to there. See how He does with it, then decide if I’ll leave it there.
MrMarty51

Postby MrMarty51 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:45 pm

Still have not got to mess with the clutch system on the 125.
I have been on that Triumph for way too long.
I had purchased the Trident from My cousin. He decided He is too old to ride now, he, in His earlier life had flat tracked and motocross raced for several different brands and different dealers out on the west coast. Anyhow, one day after I started this thread, He calls and through the course of the conversation lets Me know that He wised that He had not sold this Triumph.
I told Him that He could buy it back for the purchase price that He sold it to Me for plus parts. I had stripped the top end for gasket replacement and seal oil leaks.
Oh boy was He happy. A couple days later He calls back again, long as it is that far down, bore it and rebuild the head. I want new goides and valves,pistons and rings and not them made in china or taiwan units. Hepolite it is. New made in USA Kibble White valves and guides.
A couple of days after that He calls back again. I doubt I will be able to kick that through to get it to start. starter Components from a 1975 T-160 Trident fits, can You find those components and install those. Okay.
By now this is getting to be a lot more than I bargained for. I need to get this thing done and moved out. I have My own vehicles needing attention.
I am searching the innernet for starter components. Clutch basket has to have a starter ring. Basket housing is totally different and seems the only starters I can find here in the states is a bunch of wore out Lucas units.
One day in ebay, a clutch basket housing, brand new milled units from Les ???? Of Rob North Triples in England. I contact Him, He has complete kits, I sent him the CB and He machined and installed the starter ring. Payment made and several weeks later the kit arrives.
It all is of excellent quality and workmanship, starter and all, even comes with the appropiate battery cables and a relay switch.
Installing the basket housing, it aint fitting so good. The bolt holes that goes into the transmission dont line up the best and there is binding on the threads and shanks. Drill them a size bigger and much better. A 5\16ths bolt hole that aligns to a threaded hole of the upper transmission,it dont align so good too. Bore it a couple sizes bigger. Allrighty. All is now good. Until, screwing down the inner primary chain case, two screw holes on the basket housing do not line up at all. Crap. Take a couple pics and sent them off to Les, oh yeah we will take care of You. We will send out another housing. I screwd up though. I told him that it might be possible that the starter may have hung up on the trans case and I would get back to Him. It was about a week before I got back to the triumph. No way would that housing ever be able to rotate to align them holes. I sent him back another message. No more rep!ies back from Him.
I mailed the housing over to a machine shop in Billings, He is going to aluminum pin the holes and then I will install the housing and mark and drill and tap the holes where they need to be.
In the mean time I am contemplating to call the CC company and have them withdraw the funds that I paid for this kit.
Then let Him contact Me and argue Me out of the funds. LOL
Anyhow, thats where I am with the clutch cable problem on the Hummer. LOL
Probably be another month before I get all of the components for the Triumph back into the garudge and get it all back together.
MrMarty51

Postby MrMarty51 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:49 pm

Oh yeah, should have been electric start components.
Also, My cousin is now in his mid 80s, why He wants it electric start. LOL
MrMarty51

Postby 250_Sprint » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:35 pm

If we are to understand this correctly, you took the bike for a ride and all was good until it fell over and stopped running, breaking a hand lever.
If this is the case, then you have the proper length clutch rods and the rods are not the issue.
You could, still check them.

A grinding sound indicates the clutches are not fully disengaging before selecting a gear.
Did either cable end block slip on the cable? One at hand lever, one T or Y shape in the right side engine cover.
Did the cable casing slip deeper into the right side engine cover?
250_Sprint

Postby MrMarty51 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:23 am

The transmission would grind when putting it into gear before the bike fell over. I had purposely turned the cable device within
The clutch lever around so that it would have the affect of shortening the inner cable. That really helped as I could not
Get it into gear at all before that.
I will have parrts back for that Triumph on the 21st and it should not be to long after that and it will be gone to My cousin
Then some maintenance on the truck and the Hummer will be in right after that.
MrMarty51

Postby Mutt » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:19 am

I got new cables if ya need one.
Mutt

Postby MrMarty51 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:03 am

Thanks Mutt. Be my guess that the cable I have, the inner core is most likely too long.
I did plan on pulling the clutch to be sure that the shafts were all of the proper lengths and none was wore down first. Probably get new set of those shafts coming soon.
MrMarty51

Next

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running