63 scat throttle wire

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

63 scat throttle wire

Postby jay12demps@gmail.com » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:59 pm

63 scat throttle cable is single strain wire. Is it common to replace with convention cable?
Any advice on replacing and how to remove throttle grip without damaging, i need to lube if keeping stock cable
no return action in the throttle grip, is there a return mechanism in the grip handle? or is there a need to fabricate a throttle return
Jay
jay12demps@gmail.com

Re: 63 scat throttle wire

Postby 250_Sprint » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:46 pm

You do not need to remove the throttle grip to service the throttle cable.
If you still want to however, I have used a paper clip. I bend the tip in a way which allows me to feed it between the grip retainer and the rubber grip. Pry a gap between the rubber grip and the grip sleeve and put some lubricant. I use WD-40 with success.
If you disconnect the cable at the carburetor, you can feed some slack to the throttle sleeve.
There is a set screw which holds the cable plug in place and the screw needs to be removed. It takes a slot screw driver, is very small and easily lost. Be careful.
After the plug screw is removed, the cable slack can be fed through the handlebars. Keep adding slack the pushing through the bars until the cable outer casing is accessible.
What I did was to add WD-40 to the throttle grip side of throttle cable then pull the cable from the carburetor side, drawing the oil into the casing.
Repeat until the length of the cable and outer casing are lubricated.
Once full length is lubricated, alternate pulling the cable through the casing until you can pull and push the cable through the casing.
Yea, takes some time and is messy.
I cleaned and greased all contact points of the throttle sleeve to handlebar and all contact points of the throttle plunger.

FYI-there is no return spring for the carburetor on your Scat. Rotating the throttle grip in reverse is what closes the throttle.

I have not done or tried replacing the throttle core with a multi-strand cable, or adding a return spring at the carburetor.
It’s your bike. Make it ridable.

In my case, the throttle core had very little movement in the outer casing.
With persistence, I now have a working and easily responding throttle.

A reproduction throttle cable is available, but I was able to service the one which came with the bike. It may be from 1951…
250_Sprint

Postby Mutt » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:32 pm

If you use a stranded bendable inner cable. it's like trying to push a wet noodle
Mutt

Postby jay12demps@gmail.com » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:59 pm

Thank you for the quick response, I wasn’t confident to approach without some guidance. I can get the original working better with some lube, feel better not modifying.
jay12demps@gmail.com

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running