Flywheel/conn rod assy identification

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Flywheel/conn rod assy identification

Postby badger34 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:53 pm

I have these two flywheel assemblies that I ask for help in identifying.

The conn rods are the same pt# 24207-47 but one has a slot at the bottom of the big end for oiling and the other has five 3/16 dia round holes drilled radially around the big end. I also see that the pinion shafts differ on one end of the two assemblies.

I have two engines, an ST and I believe a BT. Both have been worked over by my dad and g'pa and I'm wanting to figure out what I have here. My dad has told me that Puckett stuffer plates were ordered by him and that he and my g'pa worked on the engine ports. I just found in my grandpa's notes a page listing port dimension differences between the ST and BT engines. The cycle itself a '56 ST has been converted from batt to mag ignition. Thanks in advance for replies and helpful info.
Attachments
P1020404 - Copy.JPG
P1020404 - Copy.JPG (168.94 KiB) Viewed 6448 times
P1020406 - Copy.JPG
P1020406 - Copy.JPG (198.38 KiB) Viewed 6448 times
badger34

Re: Flywheel/conn rod assy identification

Postby Mutt » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:23 pm

the one on the left is 1963 and later. the right one is 1952 top 1959 S and ST model
Mutt

Re: Flywheel/conn rod assy identification

Postby badger34 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks for the help Mutt.

I'm wanting to get a better understanding of the engines and parts that I have for the cycle. The original ST engine is currently assembled and in a crate, I need to get it on the bench to see what I've got condition wise & verify modifications. Dad says stuffer plate, port work & milled head were performed just after original purchase. Grandpa knew most of the tricks working in the Exp Dept at H-D.

The second engine I believe to be a BT is running and currently in the cycle. G'pa has it stamped to match the original ST numbers on the title which is why I don't know exactly what it is yet. I need to have a look at the belly numbers, I do know that the cases won't accept the ST carb cover and that it's fitted with the later Tillotson carb.
badger34

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running