Spokes

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Re: Spokes

Postby HarryM » Tue May 31, 2022 9:05 pm

Been there done that. Your spokes are correct it is your spoke pattern that is off. Remove the spokes except for the first set (9) try putting the nipple on the spoke until you only have 3-4 spoke threads showing, this should help eliminate the ease of missing the cross-over point which will be very near the hub, any higher and you have missed by 4 rim holes and the first set of spokes will appear later as too long,

Any nut/bolt, spoke/nipple that is to be torqued should have a light coat of oil or grease to prevent friction and give a more accurate torque. This applies to the head of the spoke nipple/rim.
HarryM

Postby Backyard Bob » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:52 pm

I know this might sound strange but you're running into something weird so I think it might be okay to say this: Maybe the rim you're trying to lace is an 18" instead of a 19"... or an aftermarket. If it's a H-D rim it will have the part number stamped in the inside by the valve stem hole.
Backyard Bob

Postby Mutt » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:05 pm

or the hub is for a 16" wheel. The 18" and 19" both lace the same way
Mutt

Postby Bailey » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. It is a replacement 19 inch wheel.I have the front wheel done and its okay. I laced it like the 18 as it says in the manual.I started over again on the rear and was a lot more careful how much nipple I engaged when I laced it and now I have it on my truing stand and it's going to be okay. Slow and steady takes the race.Anyways I have the front at about .020 run out both ways. Is that close enough? Thanks!
Bailey

Postby Backyard Bob » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:51 pm

I'm glad it worked out for you. .020" should be okay as the tire will make up for the difference. Besides, you won't be doing any high speed riding :-)
Backyard Bob

Postby HarryM » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:37 pm

Been there done that. Your spokes are correct it is your spoke pattern that is off. Remove the spokes except for the first set (9) try putting the nipple on the spoke until you only have 3-4 spoke threads showing, this should help eliminate the ease of missing the cross-over point which will be very near the hub, any higher and you have missed by 4 rim holes and the first set of spokes will appear later as too long,

Any nut/bolt, spoke/nipple that is to be torqued should have a light coat of oil or grease to prevent friction and give a more accurate torque. This applies to the head of the spoke nipple/rim.

Appears my first reply didn't post. Harry
HarryM

Postby Bailey » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:17 pm

I've been trying to get my rear wheel trued and today I measured the hub and found a wobble in the sprocket side about of about .025.Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get an acceptable wheel with that wobble ?
Bailey

Postby Mutt » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:24 pm

book says 1/32" is acceptable. Once you install a tire, you'll never know it
Mutt

Previous

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running