Spokes

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Spokes

Postby Brent » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:16 pm

Anyone have 2 sets of OEM usable spokes for 18" wheels? The long are 8 1/4" and the short are 6 3/4" long. I can have them re-plated if the base metal is good.
Brent

Re: Spokes

Postby pumpguy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:10 pm

If you can't find a set of spokes, you might try Buchanan's Spoke & Rim in Azusa, Ca. Phone: 626 969 4655. They make stainless steel spokes and nipples for just about every bike ever made. Probably best to send samples to prevent any doubt.
pumpguy

Postby Brent » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:15 pm

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I prefer OEM but, who knows :-)
Brent

Postby Brent » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:36 pm

Just a heads up. I ordered 2 sets of 18" wheel spokes and nipples from Buchanan Spoke Co. after sending them samples of my originals. They contacted me back and had spoke sets that were close but not duplicates to the originals. What they sent was quality (but expensive). It wasn't until I was lacing and truing the wheels I found out that, due to the nipples supplied being slightly larger in diameter with larger heads, that during final tightening of the spokes a mis-alignment of the spoke at the intersection of the spoke to nipple occurred (read: slight kink). The nipples weren't able to pivot slightly to compensate.
Brent

Postby pumpguy » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:20 pm

Sorry to hear about the spoke problem from Buchanan. Did you tell them about this problem?
pumpguy

Postby Bailey » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:16 pm

I ordered 19 inch wheels from Central Wheel in the UK but they couldn't match the spoke sample I sent them. I bought spokes from redraven but the nipples weren't right size so I was planning to get nipples from Buchanon.What was the dimension of the heads of the nipples? My original nipples were . 25 barrel with a .365 head. Another fork in the road!
Bailey

Postby Brent » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:13 pm

I haven't contacted Buchanan because they were honest with me in saying these weren't exact replacements and worked with me through the process. I accepted the differences. Their company policy is to 'check fitment first before returning the product'. Fitment didn't happen until I'd swabbed the nipples and threads with their anti-seize compound and tightened things up. Not their fault. I accept full responsibility for the mis-application. As to the nipple dimensions the barrel is .248" dia. and the head dia. is .406" at the widest reading. Head height is .165". Stock nipple size is .244" and .347" and .130" respectfully. See photos.
Attachments
nipples.jpg
nipples.jpg (22.35 KiB) Viewed 7848 times
Brent

Postby Brent » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:19 pm

Here's a photo of the misalignment.
Attachments
wheel.jpg
wheel.jpg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 7847 times
Brent

Postby Bailey » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:24 pm

Thanks for the info. I sent Central Wheel an e mail asking if these will be Ok with their Wheels.When I ordered my wheels they didn't have spokes to lace two wheels which is why the sent me Buchanan
Bailey

Postby Bailey » Mon May 30, 2022 7:20 pm

Here is what I found with the Buchanan spokes today. I bought 2 sets of spokes for 19 inch wheels and they sent separate outside and separate inside short spokes and 18 identical long spokes. I laced and trued my front wheel without any problems. When I started the rear wheel I found the lengths weren't working out.They seem to be too long just lacing the wheel finger tight.
So I've been trying every combination of rotation of the short spokes on both sides and found that the long spokes don't line up with the holes in the rim properly with the rim down on the bench on one side. I guess that means the wheel isn't symmetrical and is only supposed to turn in one direction. I think the kinking comes from the misalignment between the hub and the rim. Meanwhile I still don't know why the lengths aren't working out . Both wheel hubs are identical dimensions as far as I can tell and the spokes are supposed to be the same .I would hate to have to tear the front wheel apart again to find whats wrong. Anyone have any ideas?
This is the first time lacing and truing wheels for me so I was overjoyed when the front was done.Thanks
Bailey

Next

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running