Duplicate emails from the Exchange

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Duplicate emails from the Exchange

Postby hennesse » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:16 pm

Hi folks,

One of our members keeps getting duplicate emails for each posting. We haven't heard of this problem occurring before, and it doesn't happen to us, so we're trying to figure it out.

Thanks,
Dave & Brent
hennesse
Site Admin

NO duplicate emails

Postby hennesse » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:40 pm

We've conquered the Duplicate Email confusion - there never were any duplicates !!! The web server correctly sends exactly one email message to each user when someone posts a reply in the Forums.

Has Dave lost his mind? No.

Take a look at the recent Topic: L & L Carb Body - 2 pages of postings

Emerica1975 posted the first message, and then Mutt and Emerica1975 went back and forth. Emerica1975 replied 7 times. Mutt replied 5 times.

So you received 7 email messages that said: "Emerica has posted a reply to "L & L carb body" in the forum "HELP with
Restoration and Running"

The messages looked the same - so you thought they were duplicates. But the date/time of each email was different - not something you'd normally notice. If you look at the date/time of each email, you can match it up with the date/time of each of Emrica1975's replies in the Topic: "L & L carb body".

no-dupes.jpg
no-dupes.jpg (140.37 KiB) Viewed 3064 times

The same thing applies to the 5 emails that said "Mutt has posted a reply..." The date/times are different.

-----

Not convinced? OK, we changed the content of each "reply" email to include some additional information. Now they include some ID fields, and the first 60 characters of the reply message. Here's an example:

MESSAGE# 1671 AUTHOR: hennesse DATE: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:37 pm
MESSAGE STARTS: I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the last tes ...

I think you'll find there really are no duplicates, and never were.

You must excuse me. The men in the white coats with soft reassuring voices want me to go somewhere with them...
hennesse
Site Admin

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running