Paint Matching

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Paint Matching

Postby troymessina » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:04 pm

I am hoping to paint a '53 165 glamour green. Does anyone know how I can get original paint color from a current paint supplier? It looks like John Pierce's ColorWrite is gone. Would someone be willing to send me a part temporarily or have a part scanned at your local paint supplier so I can get a formulation?
Thanks for the help!
troymessina

Re: Paint Matching

Postby richard_blunk » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:44 pm

I am told DuPont 10660 but no promises. It's a unique color only offered in 1953 for some reason.
richard_blunk

Postby Brent » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:02 pm

Okay, I see an opportunity here. If Dupont 10660 is correct for Glamour Green then what are the other paint codes for the other colors? The HHC history on paint colors doesn't contain the formulations... only what the H-D literature offered as to choice. Have you done your research( Members), painted your bikes and received positive responses from the AMCA Judges? ...or pleased 'you' from your research? I'd like to know and will be looking for responses. As most of you know, I coordinate and upload the information to the website... after I run it by Dave Hennessey. I'd like to update the paint page with 'suggestions'. The reason I say suggestions is because we weren't there then... and for those of us that were? Well, how long can your remember a color? Did H-D publish paint codes? :-)
Brent

Postby troymessina » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:41 am

I found the list shown below. The 10660 agrees with the previous reply from richard_blunk. I realize it's unlikely a paint supplier would be able to use that code since Dupont Dulux hasn't been around for decades. The file was at https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1953&manuf=Harley%20Davidson&model=Motorcycle. Click on "chips". I emailed VMR paints. They have Pepper Red (https://vmrpaints.com/products/harley-davidson-motorcycle-pepper-red-restoration-paint), but they don't have Glamour Green. They also do not distribute paint chips. They're nice people and quick to reply.

I would love for members to post their paint brand and formulation/code when they do a restore. Even if it weren't a stock color, it'd be nice to have a list of what people have done and what paint brands and colors people are happy with.

fleet_1953_harley_dupont_c_01.jpg
Dupont Paint Codes
fleet_1953_harley_dupont_c_01.jpg (370.38 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
troymessina

Postby Brent » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:12 am

Thanks for the info and links!
Brent

Postby Brent » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:46 pm

I've been exchanging emails with an antique car paint supplier regarding the DULUX® paint codes and they're working with me... no promises. I'll keep everyone updated.
In the meantime visit https://harleyhummerclub.org/members/ji ... index.html as Jim has made progress.
Brent

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running