Generator not charging

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Generator not charging

Postby Emerica1975 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:38 pm

I am having trouble getting my generator to charge the battery. I have a repair manual and have run the tests that are described to check the charging system. However I’m still not able to pinpoint the problem. Can someone recommend any way to figure out if it’s my regulator or generator that are the problem.
Thanks.
Emerica1975

Re: Generator not charging

Postby Bailey » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:09 pm

Did you do all the armature checks too?I checked mine last week and it was grounded. I was able to get it cleaned up and now everything checks out right. You want the commutator to ground read OL or infinity.If you want to check just the generator disconnect your regulator and other wiring and run your ignition from its own source the battery. Make sure your positive and negatives are correct. If everything is wired properly and you can spin the engine you can put a low voltage (1.5 volt Battery) to positive and negative and see if it generates a voltage . If that's good the try a load like a light bulb and then see if it will drive a load. It helps to have a good meter.
Let me know how this works for you.
Bailey

Postby jim72ollie » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:24 am

I believe the 4 brush generator would be considered "A" circuit, meaning the field coils feed from the output brush terminal, and the field end is the control wire.
Remove the GEN and FIELD wires at the regulator. MOMENTARLY jump the red generator wire to the battery to polarize the field coils.
Hook a volt meter between the GEN wire and ground. Start engine to a high RPM, touch the field wire to ground. this should bring the generator to "full" output (above 7 volts).
If it doesn't go up the generator is not working. If voltage rises, connect Gen wire at regulator and repeat grounding disconnected field wire to ground at high RPM. BAT and GEN terminal voltage should be equal if regulator batter contacts are closing. Field wire normally grounds through the regulator to control out put voltage, so confirm regulator base is actually grounded to B-
jim72ollie

Postby Emerica1975 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:41 am

Thanks for the tips. When I hook up my multimeter between the generator lead and ground and ground the lead to the f terminal im getting over 9 volts. So im assuming my voltage regulator is the problem. Does this sound correct. ? Thanks!!
Emerica1975

Postby jim72ollie » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:42 am

Sounds as the generator is working. If you put the field wire on the regulator F terminal, do you get a reading on the Gen wire?
Next, remove the battery lead and check the field terminal of the regulator to ground with an ohm meter? Should be near 0 ohms .
Double check the ground from the regulator to frame ground before replacing the regulator.
jim72ollie

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running