Engine build

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Engine build

Postby Emerica1975 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:02 pm

I would like to start building an engine with performance in mind. I’m hoping people can help me with hunting down parts that can be used in this build. Expansion chamber exhaust? Heads, piston and rings, even carburetor ideas.
I know sometimes people really don’t want to get rid of rare or hard to find parts but even info on parts that could be altered to fit the 165st would be great!
Thanks!!
Emerica1975

Re: Engine build

Postby pumpguy » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:25 pm

To give you some basic information on selecting the modifications and parts needed for this build, I would suggest you review the following:

BASIC 2 STROKE TUNING by Eric Gorr. You should be able to find this online.

Another excellent source of information is the book TWO STROKE TUNER'S HANDBOOK by Gordon Jennings. 156 pages of very useful information. If you can't find a copy to buy, your local library should be able get you a copy to borrow.

Once you've done your research, you can plan on how your build should go.

Good luck, and let us know how your build progresses.
pumpguy

Postby badger34 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:58 pm

Hop-Up material found here on The Harley Hummer Club page...

1) This post has found it's way the last page in this section - https://www.harleyhummerclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38

2) Second post with Puckett info and two Puckett spec sheets provided by Mutt - https://www.harleyhummerclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=188
Last edited by badger34 on Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
badger34

Postby Brent » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:17 pm

badger34.... you beat Dave and I to the punch. Good memory on your part. Thanks.
Brent

Postby Emerica1975 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:11 am

Thanks for the advice and the resources to get started. I ordered an old book by Floyd Clymer the other day ( Souping up 2 strokes). I think a lot of the time I enjoy building the bike and tracking down the parts more than I do the riding! Lol!!
Emerica1975

Postby Brent » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:06 pm

I hear you on the parts search fun. I tell people that 'Restoring (resurrecting) a basket case motorcycle is like putting together a 3,000 piece puzzle... but the pieces are scattered everywhere'. Also, 'A puzzle won't let you ride it down the road' :-)
Re: Hop-up. I sent my 62' 175 Scat motor to Mutt a few years back for a re-build. I included a 'stuffer plate' I'd rescued from a trashed 'racer' motor. After he put it in, Mutt realized the carb required an oversized jet and different jet riser tube (more holes) from a different carb to run right. This means the motor was looking for more fuel to air; this means a stronger motor.... just from a stuffer plate. I'm VERY pleased with the results (but also understand the limits of 1962 H-D Lightweight technology). Ha!
Have fun putting together a Race Motor; and I wish you the best. Be sure and include a set of Racing Gears when Mutt gets them done. If I had them in my '62 Scat (First, second, third... instead of first, second, fourth... I'd probably go up one tooth on the engine sprocket and add a repair link to the chain for running around town and the backroads here in Western Pa.
70; and the 15 year old still lives when riding these motorcycles.
Brent

Postby richard_blunk » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:03 pm

This is probably not typical but I had a Hummer that had been Puckett modified. It ran faster than the normal engine but was very tempermental in running and starting. It gave me a hard time and I wanted something more reliable and predictable so I bought a second engine to use as my usual rider. I'd be interested if others had the same experience or if my Puckett mod was not quite right.
richard_blunk

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running