timing

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

timing

Postby lillback44 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:12 pm

I have a early model 125 engine restoration project and the engine has spark,but the guy working on it says it's 180 degrees off. Meaning that the spark is occurring at the wrong time. He mentioned he tried to flip something around, but the key way doesn't allow for that. I realize this is not much info, but I'm hoping someone may have any suggestions on this? I haven't been able to find any info on timing . Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Chris Lillback
lillback44

Re: timing

Postby Mutt » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:17 pm

it can't be 180º because it does everything in one 360º revolution. the generator motors are extremely finacky.
You need a ohmeter and a dial indicator to do this correctly and the motor has to be out of the frame and on the bench.If ya don't, you'll be there a LONG time. If you don't have the correct tiny shoulder screws in place (that the points plate turns on) you may never get it timed.
Mutt

Postby hennesse » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Please tell us the year and model - the serial number on the left side of the engine, near the front. The ignition system of the S/ST engines is completely different from the B/BT/BTH engines, so we need to be sure what you've got, or we might be sending you in the wrong direction.

These are two-cycle engines (mix oil in the gas), and the spark plug fires every time the piston nears TDC (Top Dead Center). So if the spark is occuring near BDC, there's something really, really wrong.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby lillback44 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Got the bike running. Turns out we swapped out the points cam with another one and it's running fine. Thanks for the suggestions. Here is a youtube like to the bike running. https://youtu.be/5b39uUf1DUg
lillback44

Postby hennesse » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:09 am

lillback44 wrote:Here is a youtube like to the bike running.

The Desitin like to the foot in powder like in you adsorb since now. You too?
hennesse
Site Admin

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running