More Clutch questions?

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

More Clutch questions?

Postby sevens0n » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:23 pm

Hello All...

I'm a bit confused as to how the clutch is supposed to be actuated. I'm Finding several discrepancies on my bike that don't seem to jive with the service manual. It makes me think that this bike may have some stuff cobbled up by a previous owner.

#1 The Magento side cover has a cable adjuster in it. Is this Standard? If it is, mine is messed up, All the threads are stripped out of it.
#2 The clutch cable seems to be a bit too short to route nicely.
#3 There was a short clutch pushrod (About 1/2 Inch) in the clutch worm between the adjuster screw and the long, right-side pushrod. Is this Standard? Can't find it in the manual?
#4 The Center clutch pushrod that was in the bike is about 3/8" shorter than the new replacement we purchased.

I Would really like to know what would be correct for this machine. So far, I have not come up with a combination of parts that seem to work the way they should.

Help...
Thanks in advance....
Brian
Attachments
DSC07054.JPG
DSC07054.JPG (188.39 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
DSC07045.JPG
DSC07045.JPG (160.46 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
As a prerequisite to mechanical aptitude, one must develop an instinctual understanding of the many aspects of Murphy's law.
sevens0n

Re: More Clutch questions?

Postby 250_Sprint » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:54 am

#1 and 2
No, there is no adjustment screw. The clutch cable’s outer casing slides into the engine side cover. The PO probably shortened the cable to compensate for adding the adjustment screw. The clutch cable can be altered. The clutch cable end (38646-51) can be purchased separately and installed at the incorrect length.
I recommend replacing the clutch cable. Buy from a business you trust and who understands these motorcycles.
There are four ‘rods’ which actuate your clutch. The adjusting screw (38131-47) which has a smooth tip at the end, release rod, right (37275-47 long rod), release rod, center (37281-47 short rod), and release rod, left (37278-47 looks like a rod with a thick, flat washer at one end). Check the adjuster screw to see if the smooth tip is still on the end. If not, the 1/2 “ is the tip.
Look at the ends of the long rod you removed from the motorcycle and see if it has saw or grinding marks where it’s length was altered.
Remember, these motorcycles are old and were likely abused in their life. When working on them, think about their age, the mind set of PO’s who all thought they had a better way to design the motorcycles.

I hope this sheds some light and points you to an eventual solution.
250_Sprint

Postby Mutt » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:34 am

your long push rod should measure 4 7/8", the center rod 1 3/16". The end of the clutch cable (off the bike and unhooked from everything) should have a 3 3/4" stick out. I have any part ya might need, new or used. whatever ya want
Mutt

Postby sevens0n » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:35 pm

Thanks for the info!
Everything is starting to make sense. That cable adjuster was giving me nightmares! Nice to know it's not supposed to be there! Nor is the little piece inside the worm. (It looks suspiciously like a roller-bearing roller from something ???).

I believe I have all the correct parts to move forward, I can at least check the functionality of everything. I'll likely have to move the clutch lever closer to the right side somewhere, until I can get a new "Proper" clutch cable.

If you have seen my other post about the clutch basket, you know that was messed up. I'm thinking all the "extra" parts in here may have been an attempt to resolve the clutch basket problem. They were just barking up the wrong tree, so to speak!

Thanks Again
As a prerequisite to mechanical aptitude, one must develop an instinctual understanding of the many aspects of Murphy's law.
sevens0n

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running