Key Switch

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Key Switch

Postby Scott » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:40 pm

Somehow I posted this on the wrong forum earlier...
Is the keys function to simply lock the switch from rotating? I don't have a key, but it rotates to 4 distinct positions, can anyone tell me which is what?
Thanks!
I did find a post regarding the 4 positions of the switch so the only question is about the key and it's function. I'm assuming the key isn't needed as long as you can rotate the switch.
Scott

Re: Key Switch

Postby troymessina » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:57 pm

The key locks the ignition (stops it from turning) but does nothing as far as starting the engine. If you can rotate the ignition switch, you don't need a key to start the bike.

Mutt gave me the name of guy who makes keys if you have the code on your ignition switch. Send me a private message if you want, and I'll give you his number. I don't like to post that kind of information without the person's permission.
troymessina

Postby 250_Sprint » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:08 pm

There are 4 key switch positions, call them 1,2,3,and 4. 1 being last position when rotated CCW.
1 is park where the tail lamp is illuminated, ignition is off, the switch is in a locked position and the key can be removed.
2 is off where no power is going anywhere, the switch is in a locked position and the key can be removed.
3 is ignition only, the switch is in an unlocked position and can be rotated. The key can be removed.
4 is headlamp and tail lamp are lite, and there is ignition. The switch is in an unlocked position and can be rotated. The key can be removed.
This is assuming the switch is wired per the factory schematic and the switch and wires are fully functional.

If you have a letter and number on the top of the key cylinder, a lock smith may be able to make keys for you.
250_Sprint

Postby Scott » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:42 pm

Thank you for the info. Because I don't know who did what over the years I have a feeling I'll be rewiring the entire bike rather than chasing issues.
Scott

Postby 250_Sprint » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:27 pm

Wiring diagrams are available here.
Hot wiring these is easy.
I did the same as you are doing, just to have a base point:
Alligator clips getting power to where it needs to go…
A car battery charger with a 6V 10A setting
Verify spark, gas, and air…
I recorded mine running for the first time in a decade…
Fun stuff!
250_Sprint

Postby Scott » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:07 pm

Fun and challenging!
Scott

Postby Brent » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:13 pm

Yep, always fun with 6 volt motorcycle batterie's and poking around electrical wiring diagrams. Done the same for years. Best of Luck. Nothing will burn out if only used for a short period of time. If you see smoke, it's been a long period of time.
Brent

Postby Scott » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:10 pm

Smoke Bad, got it, thanks Brent!
Scott

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running