Harley BT bogged down

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Re: Harley BT bogged down

Postby hennesse » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Look back where I spoke of
hennesse wrote:In the carburator, there are two common places where a fleck of dirt or rust can gum up the works...

Some of that fine rust got past the filter. The next thing downstream is the float needle and the float bowl. You will need to completely disassemble the carburator and give it a thorough cleaning Thar's rust in them thar passages. Got that Service Manual yet? Bet your "Harley guy" doesn't have one...
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby scbrice » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:21 pm

hennesse wrote:Look back where I spoke of
hennesse wrote:In the carburator, there are two common places where a fleck of dirt or rust can gum up the works...

Some of that fine rust got past the filter. The next thing downstream is the float needle and the float bowl. You will need to completely disassemble the carburator and give it a thorough cleaning Thar's rust in them thar passages. Got that Service Manual yet? Bet your "Harley guy" doesn't have one...

Thank you sir!!!!
scbrice

Postby Mutt » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:28 am

Dave, do the entire world a favor and don't mention the word KREEM. That stuff should have been outlawed in the 70's when it first came out (which is exactly what it will do, IN LARGE PATCHES, shortly after ya apply it). And you will never get it all out of the tank again. Acetone, even MEK, will not remove it.

Brice, let me give some advice on that inline filter. THROW IT AWAY.

A friend of mine came by 2 days ago with his chopper shovelhead on a trailer. He said he took it to a couple of shops, because he could only ride it a short distance, like a mile or 2, and it would die. Later, it would crank back up again, but do the same thing. He said neither shop could figure out his problem.

I told him to grab a new set of plugs and ditch that inline filter. The filter would be about ½ full all the time. He told me that there was no way was that the problem, the filer was new. But after wasting his time/money taking his bike to various shops, he was willing to try anything. He moved the filter, hooked the line up direct to the carb,kicked the bike over a few kicks, it fired up, he let it warm up for a minute and got ready to ride. I told him I would come after him if he wasn't back in 5 minutes. 5 minutes past, so I jumped on my 45 and went to find him. He had drove 4 miles up the road and turned around and was headed back. When we got back to the shop, he was smiling from ear to ear and told me he couldn't believe it was the filter. The motor runs fine now. This has been the case many times. Those filters tend to make the motor act like it is vapor locked. Haven't figured out why, but I ain't a scientist, so probably don't need to know.

Go to Home Depot get ya a gallon of Metal Rescue from the paint department. and a 3/8 NPT pipe plug, ( a plain cast iron plug will do fine) and a good handful of #8 sheet metal screws about 3/4" long

Remove the tank, remove the petcock and drain the tank, blow the inside of the tank dry with compressed air, put in the sheet metal screws, install the cap and shake for about 5 minutes. This will loosen up the large pieces of rust. Dump all the screws out & blow the inside out with compressed air.

Remove the petcock and plug the petcock hole with a 3/8 NPT pipe plug

Dump the whole gallon of MR in the tank, slosh it around real good, often.

Leave it in there for a day or 2, turning the tank to different angles during the 2 days while it sits. The MR will convert the rust back into metal and leaves a sorta parkerized etching in the tank. After the 2 days. Drain the MR and blow the tank dry with air again. Clean the screen on the petcock, blow thru the petcock backwards, with the valve(s) open then reinstall the petcock and ya should be good to go.
Mutt

Postby scbrice » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:45 am

My Allstate Puch had that Kream stuff in tank. Shit was everywhere. Ethanol gas ate it up. Thanks again mutt

Thankfully though that filter grabbed some rust before it got further through engine. I imagine the float bowl is prob a mess also
scbrice

Postby volgaseeds » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:45 am

1961 super 10
volgaseeds

Postby scbrice » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:27 pm

I never said I was a Harley genius. Gentleman it’s not dirty gas or bad carb. Today I moved bike and my spark plug wire broke off from inside. Took cover off to take a look. Shot mutt an email but wanted to share with you all. Guess you kinda need spark to make a bike run. If I buy a cable can I replace myself with a buddy ? Please help
scbrice

Postby Mutt » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Never saw that coil set up before. You can buy a new coil . It mounts on the lower portion of the magneto. your present coil is where the lighting coil should be. I may have a new one in stock, will have to look and see to be sure.

Mutt
Mutt

Postby hennesse » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:19 pm

scbrice wrote:If I buy a cable can I replace myself with a buddy ? Please help

Look in Section 5G of the Service Manual you recently ordered from your local Harley Dealer.
Attachments
coil.jpg
coil.jpg (307.41 KiB) Viewed 9844 times
hennesse
Site Admin

Previous

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running