Hello from Atlanta

Stories and photos of YOU and YOUR HUMMER

Hello from Atlanta

Postby Tvshooter » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Greetings from Atlanta, GA! I am a new owner of a 1962 Pacer, and have to admit, it's a struggle. The bike alternates between starting up easily and just staring at me. As a novice mechanic, it's a very steep learning curve.
However as a rider-I can't imagine much more fun. I love the feel of the road vibrating up through the bike into my hands, the rumble of pavement shaking every bone in my body through the seat. After riding the Pacer the other day for about a 6 miles, I got on my wife's Honda Rebel, and felt lost. No feel, no one with the pavement.....like I was floating down the road without any excitement.

That said....this bike has some gremlins I'd love to exorcise. If anyone is in the Atlanta area and has experience with Harley lightweights,
I'd love to hear from you. The Tillotson carb that came on the bike was an MT42, and leaked like the Exxon Valdez cruising the Alaskan coast. On advice of someone here, I changed it to a Mikuni VM42 and it runs much better. Still incredibly hard to start...sometimes....and sometimes it cranks right up. There are other small little quirks that I'm sure an experienced person would know.

However-this is such a cool bike!

Richard Campbell
Atlanta, GA
1962 Harley Pacer
Attachments
IMG_2173.jpg
IMG_2173.jpg (326.82 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
Tvshooter

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Postby d63299 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Wrong carburetor.
You need a Tilotson MT82A. I know nothing about the Mikuni but would bet that Mutt does. Mutt can also lead you through the timing procedure and it has been covered extensively in past posts.

Duane Taylor
d63299

Return to Introduce Yourself