Introduction

Stories and photos of YOU and YOUR HUMMER

Introduction

Postby Cossack38 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:35 am

Hi all,

I am a member of the Seattle Cossacks Motorcycle Stunt and Drill team. We were founded in 1938, and still perform on 1930's and 1940's Harley Davidson hand=shift, foot clutch, motorcycles. You can check us out at www.SeattleCossacks.com, on fcebook, and Instagram.

I have been tasked with resurrecting an old Cossack tradition, the "baby bike". This started in the immediate post-war years, with a WWII surplus British Welbike paratrooper motorcycle, painted in Cossack colors. This bike was ridden by one of the largest riders on the team in parades and shows.

When that bike became impossible to maintain, the team built a new "baby bike" powered by a Harley S125. In the 1960's, another baby bike was built, using a Harley (Aermacchi) S-50 engine.

I have been asked to build another baby bike, and have a 1955 ST 165 for that purpose. The engine and transmission is stock, and I rebuilt it. I have laced the stock ST 165 hubs to 14" Honda XR-75 rims, and am modifying the frame to remove 3.5" from the downtube, and reshaping the back bone, to resemble a 2/3 scale big twin hardtail frame. I am also widening a Simplex Servi-Cycle springer front fork to adapt it to this motorcycle, as it will closely resemble a Harley scaled down springer fork. Finally, i have a friend who will fabricate tanks and fenders to resemble a big twin Harley.

I m not new to these wonderful little bikes. I restored a one-owner 1958 ST 165 for family member. I hope that I don't offend anyone with the intent to modify my bike, but it will be used in our team performances for years to come, and thereby introduce future generations to the little Harleys.
Cossack38

Return to Introduce Yourself