Hello from North Alabama

Stories and photos of YOU and YOUR HUMMER

Hello from North Alabama

Postby bgullatt » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:16 am

Hello Everyone,

I made my way here via a wild hair. I'm the kind of guy that likes a challenge. I like to create things from nothing. I am a software engineer by day and a tinkerer by night. Before going to college I worked in the auto restoration business for about 12 years. As kids came along all my projects got put on hold. When the kids finally got of age I bought each of them a total and rebuilt it. In the last few years I took an interest in mountain biking. Built a few frame up bikes with the best components I could get.

Fast forward to COVID. Cleaning out the garage I came across a bike frame. Started searching what to do with it and came across an 80cc engine kit. I thought this will be fun. As I kept investigating I found a facebook page where people are building "boardtrack" replicas. That is pretty cool but I think I want a bigger engine. Found a Honda 125. Now I think the frame is too small. Start searching for options and find a Harley "Hummer" frame in Nashville. Try to contact the person but no luck. Now I'm off on another rabbit trail.

I remember the Hummer from my high school days. I was helping a buddy work on a 67 Sunbeam Tiger. There was a motorcycle sitting in his garage. He said it was a Harley Hummer. I remember sitting on it thinking this would be pretty cool. He said he would sell it but I didn't have $600. He did end up selling and I never really thought about it again at least until I went off on this rabbit trail.

So here I am looking at Facebook, Craigslist and Ebay searching for Harley Hummer. I find this site and start reading. Find a few other sites and just start absorbing information. Looks like frames are in the $150 to $300 range. See a basket case on Ebay but it is too far away to be justifiable. Then I find a stash of parts on Ebay. I ended up buying a frame, fender, part of a tree and a headlight bracket. My stack of parts "Hummer" should be here next week. Now what to do with it?

After reading through the identification and restoration information I am more inclined to keep gathering parts than to cobble together some kind of Franken Hummer. I am narrowing the window of what year the frame is and want to know is there actually a serial number on the frame? As you can see from my list of parts I have a long way to go. I could just buy a fork, engine, wheels, tank, wiring harness and slap it all together but I don't really know which direction to go now. Can someone share a picture of the frame enhancements? From the pictures I have I think the frame is between 1950 and 1952.

Also I know that there is a stress crack on the right side chainstay (from bike frame terms). Is this a common area and what is the best resolution? Cut the frame and insert a slug?

The journey begins!
Bill Gullatt
Harvest, AL
bgullatt

Re: Hello from North Alabama

Postby bgullatt » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:39 am

I can't seem to get my pics to upload.
bgullatt

Return to Introduce Yourself