I finally rode it!

Stories and photos of YOU and YOUR HUMMER

I finally rode it!

Postby gearhead1969 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:00 am

Hello all.
I'm Darwyn and I reside in rural southern Ohio I'm originally from Dayton Ohio.
My Dad bought my 1960 Super10 for my when I was in the ninth grade (83-84) to keep me out of trouble. He bought it off of a friend he worked with at Chrysler in Dayton, it wasn't running and was missing a few parts. I soon found out that info and parts were pretty hard to find on these bikes (in fact I didn't even know it was called a super 10 until a good bit later). After locating the correct service manual (the local dealer tried to sell me a manual for the Italian single saying they were the "same thing") I managed to get it started with a coil from the VW dealer! I didn't know how to ride at that point, so It idled stationary while I dreamed of burning up the back roads! I quickly damaged my clutch hub and starter gear running it without oil..... I didn't know any better. That was the last time it ran for many years.
I discovered the HHC from a classified ad in the back of a biker rag (probably iron horse) and became a member during the news letter days. I gathered some parts from the contacts I made, with dreams of restoration. Unfortunately the distractions of being a teenager won over and the Super 10 or "hummer"( as I call it) sat and gathered dust.
FFWD to '99 the hummer had been in my parents shed for many years , I decided it was time to start the restoration again, only this time I had the internet! I soon reconnected with the HHC bought a lot of parts and tried to figure out how to reassemble something I had taken apart many years prior! I made some good progress... painted it... got rechromed rims and repop spokes..... even eventually addressed the damage from running without oil. I never fired it though. Things were going pretty good, but then, life's many distractions won over again and my attention was focused elsewhere for many years.
FFWD again to 2 weeks ago! After recently seeing a nice Hummer at a car show, I decided it was time. I pulled it out of the corner and without too much trouble, It started! I reconnected with HHC again! I spent the last 2 weeks looking for parts I already have (somewhere), looking for the few parts I still need, got a chain and clutch cable from Mutt (who is awesome and ships very fast!) With haste and excitement, I got the bike ready for it's first ride since the 70's (probably).
Yesterday, I rode it for the first time ever! It wasn't far at all because the carb is a mess and a lot of other things need attention but I rode it! It was super sketchy and exciting! 60 year old square edge tires, front brake wasn't hooked up everything needs adjusted but man it was something else! I only rode for a few minutes before the float stuck and I had to push it home but this thing is going to be road worthy again!
I have dragged this bike around most of my life and it's a huge deal to have finally ridden it! I have kept it through many rough spots in life and I am very glad that I never sold or traded it off! I was 14 when I got it and I will be 54 soon! This time will be different. I want it road worthy and appearance might get addressed later. I plan to run these "hollers" with it (it's 6 miles around the block where I live).
Today I will tinker with it some more and hopefully find a missing box with my front brake parts!
gearhead1969

Re: I finally rode it!

Postby Mutt » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:11 am

I can got thru your carb if ya cant find the needed parts
Mutt

Postby gearhead1969 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:15 am

appreciate it mutt! I'll be getting with you soon about carb options.
gearhead1969

Postby BertMcClary » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:16 am

I'm glad you kept it. I bought my '48 in '57 when I was 15, but sold it when I went to college because I needed money. I'm 79 now and every day that I read a post on this site I wish that I still had it.
BertMcClary

Postby 250_Sprint » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:23 pm

Congratulations for:
Riding it again.
Still having it.
Still having an interest in it.
-enjoy!

We all have things we wish we still had, but we had good reasons for getting rid of them. Usually it was to pay a bill which bettered our life in the long run.
some times we can get it back. Sometimes we can get something similar. Sometimes we can get something as an adult we lusted for as a child.
And sometimes we can’t at all, and that is all part of Life.
If I had to get rid of it, at least I had an experience with it. So now I have memories.
250_Sprint

Postby BertMcClary » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:20 pm

Thanks, I needed that. I still ride, I could afford another one, but it just wouldn't be the same. I'll stick with the memories.
BertMcClary

Postby hummDE45 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:12 pm

My name is Don Ellington and I got my first Hummer (1960 Hi Fi Green Super 10) for Christmas 12-25-1959. I lived in a little town in SW Ohio farm country (Fairfield, Ohio}. As years past I became a Motorcycle dealer in Atlanta for 25 years and had literally thousands Of motorcycles of all sorts and sizes over the years. However, none of them ever gave the joy I had at 14 years old and that little Hummer. I still long to find serial # 60BTU4040. Merry Christmas to all.......I am hoping Santa will find her.
hummDE45

Return to Introduce Yourself