Original left handlebar grip removal

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Original left handlebar grip removal

Postby Gregmadsen174 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:08 pm

Got a question for you all. I have an original left grip on a set of handlebars I’d like to remove without destroying it. Any ideas?
Gregmadsen174

Re: Original left handlebar grip removal

Postby 250_Sprint » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:17 am

Bobby Pins or whatever they are called. Those metal pins women use to hold a hat on or to hold a style in their hair. Also used to hold a graduation hat on the head of a graduate.
All drug stores/markets sell then. Inexpensive, thin pieces of metal with a thin black coating. They come in two sizes, small which is most commonly used, and there is a larger version.
Whichever you choose, remove the drop of coating at the ends, bend the metal to a usable shape and carefully slip it between the bump in the handlebars and the end of the grip. Drop some WD-40 or similar in the small gap and slowly work it into the end of the grip.

An L shaped paper clip cut with a short leg (file sharp edges smooth) can be slipped between the bump in the handlebar and the end of the grip and rotated so the short leg slides under the tip of the grip.
Again, WD-40 or similar can be dripped into the small gap. Work your way around the entire handlebar/grip.
It would help if the handlebar end was facing down so the lubricant and gravity can do their jobs.

Obviously, take all the time needed to not damage the hand grip. This could take a day or more.

Good Luck.
250_Sprint

Postby Mutt » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:19 am

compressed air and WD-40 . Works perfect
Mutt

Postby Gregmadsen174 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:50 am

Thank you gentlemen. I will be investing in Bobby pins today. Again thank you!
Gregmadsen174

Postby Backyard Bob » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:51 am

I boiled one once in a pot of water for about 20 minutes. It had been glued on and came off with only a bit of a struggle.
Backyard Bob

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running