Hello from Indiana

Stories and photos of YOU and YOUR HUMMER

Hello from Indiana

Postby panhead_kicker » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:02 am

Hi Everyone,
I do not own a Hummer, but I hope my pair of '64 Toppers are welcome here. The Topper forum appears to have finally died a death of neglect.
Here are my scoots as I got them in 2015:

IMG_4381_web_size.JPG
Pre-cleanup
IMG_4381_web_size.JPG (198.11 KiB) Viewed 46170 times
panhead_kicker

Re: Hello from Indiana

Postby 250_Sprint » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:05 am

Not up to this member, but I don’t see why not.
It is a shame the other forum had little interest. Boat loads of knowledge is always created and potentially now lost.

Model 125, Model 165, Hummer, Topper and Golf carts.. amazing 2-strokes from Harley-Davidson.

What I like to hear from folks as I ride up… ‘What is that?’

Hope you ride them.
250_Sprint

Postby hennesse » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:15 pm

Toppers are very welcome here!

I traded a 1941 DKW RT-125 (grandfather of the Hummer) for it with a guy from western Illinois in 1999. We met at Jim's Harley in Mendon Ohio, which was roughly half-way between us. Jim had just received one of the first V-Rods, and invited me to take it for a ride on the straightaway in front of his shop. "The record so far is 120 mph before getting to the curve in the road". It was about 30 degrees out, and I was freezing just standing still, so I politely declined.

I would take the dogs for a ride around suburban Bethesda, MD. People on the sidewalks would stop, break into a big smile, point at us and say (although I couldn't actually hear them) "Wow - that is sooo cute!" If the entrance fee into heaven is putting smiles on peoples' faces, I'm a shoe-in.

When we moved from suburbia to a farmette in the country in 2007, I decided to let it go, as there wouldn't be suitable roads to ride it. I sold the rig to a guy in Omaha.

Here's one web page and another one - both from long ago.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby panhead_kicker » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am

250_Sprint wrote:Not up to this member, but I don’t see why not.
It is a shame the other forum had little interest. Boat loads of knowledge is always created and potentially now lost.

Model 125, Model 165, Hummer, Topper and Golf carts.. amazing 2-strokes from Harley-Davidson.

What I like to hear from folks as I ride up… ‘What is that?’

Hope you ride them.

Hey 250_Sprint, yeah the Topper admin disappeared several years ago, it ran on autopilot for a while. I did download a lot of the data from the web pages.

I can check off two of your boxes above! Topper and Golf cart , or more properly, "Gasoline Car" :D It's a '64 also. I'll post a few more pics later.

My wife and I ride the Toppers quite a bit ( >500 miles :D) until this year, and the Gasoline Car is my neighborhood runabout. I'll be talking about a current issue in another post.
panhead_kicker

Postby panhead_kicker » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 am

hennesse wrote:Toppers are very welcome here!
Dave

Thank You Dave!
Nice site you run here, and I'm already familiar with the software :D
That Topper of yours was a Nice ride; that utility box looks to be a pretty rare item! Glad to see there are/were other Topper owners here.
panhead_kicker

Postby 250_Sprint » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:28 am

Not to hijack this thread, but since 2-strokes can run backwards, it is an interesting thought that the “gasoline car” can run as fast in reverse as in forward. (I’m picture the vehicle on a posh golf course.)
250_Sprint

Postby panhead_kicker » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:38 pm

250_Sprint wrote:Not to hijack this thread, but since 2-strokes can run backwards, it is an interesting thought that the “gasoline car” can run as fast in reverse as in forward. (I’m picture the vehicle on a posh golf course.)

Lol yes it is! Now the later models may have used that unique functionality, but my '64 has quite a stout gear box to obtain reverse:
084.JPG
084.JPG (62.68 KiB) Viewed 46007 times
panhead_kicker

Return to Introduce Yourself