testing generator

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

testing generator

Postby schrizo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:20 am

Hello. I have a 58 and the battery won't charge. How can I problem shoot it?? thanks much, Reg.
schrizo

Re: testing generator

Postby Mutt » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:18 am

start by removing the generator and the armature and take the armature to your local electric motor repair shop and have them test the armature to see if it's in working order
Mutt

Postby d63299 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:19 am

ANOTHER APPROACH BEFORE GOING TO THE TIME/EXPENSE OF GENERATOR TEST:

BATTERY: WILL IT ACCEPT A BENCH CHARGE . IF THE BATTERY IS THE STANDARD H3 SIZE IT IS PROBABLY ONE FROM INDIA AND MOSTLY WORTHLESS WHEN NEW. DIXIE IMPORTED THOSE AND MAYBE V-TWIN STILL HAS THEM??
MOST LEAKED, MANY WOULD NOT HOLD A CHARGE AND SOME WOULD NOT TAKE A CHARGE.

CONNECTIONS: YOU PROBABLY CHECKED ALL OF THOSE ALREADY.

SO---YOU HAVE BEEN THERE, DID THAT IT IS " MUTT " TIME.

DUANE
d63299

Postby schrizo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:14 pm

I am using a 6V battery that will take a charge. it is not a battery I will be using once I understand why I don't have a charge going into it. I can only run the bike 10 minutes or so before it sputters out with a dead battery. Should the bike run even without a battery? I am sure there is no charge showing from the wires going to the battery. Who ever had this bike before me might have bypassed the generator all together. It has a coil and regulator but do not know if it is wired correctly. The bike is 80 miles away on a farm. Is there a way to test if there is any charge coming from the generator before I look into how its wired?
schrizo

Postby schrizo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:14 pm

I am using a 6V battery that will take a charge. it is not a battery I will be using once I understand why I don't have a charge going into it. I can only run the bike 10 minutes or so before it sputters out with a dead battery. Should the bike run even without a battery? I am sure there is no charge showing from the wires going to the battery. Who ever had this bike before me might have bypassed the generator all together. It has a coil and regulator but do not know if it is wired correctly. The bike is 80 miles away on a farm. Is there a way to test if there is any charge coming from the generator before I look into how its wired?
schrizo

Postby Mutt » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:04 pm

If your charging system operates correctly, it "can" be started with a dead battery by push starting. If generator and regulator are actually working, even with a low battery, the bike can be started and ran continuously directly from the generator/regulator. If you need a wiring diagram for your model/year, just ask. I have all of them on my computer and
can email you the one you will need. After you are sure the bike is wired right, you need to "polarize" the system. All ya need is a pair of needle nose pliers or a piece of wire.
Mutt

Postby schrizo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:09 pm

I believe I have the schematic for the bike. Not sure of reading them but I will try it. I'm curious(with the battery connected) that I have power to the points and coil and the kill switch works but no lights or horn. If it kills when the battery cables are removed it would seem I am getting nothing from the regulator. I should get a reading at the cables when I kick it over and no battery. The regulator looks to be as old as the bike. Thanks for the feedback.
schrizo

Postby Mutt » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 pm

Are the lights and horn even wired up?
Mutt

Postby schrizo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:56 pm

the wires are run to both but I have not chased this down yet. I was happy to get the nasty gas tank cleaned out which took days and then have it run period. Now I want to solve this. thanks again.
schrizo

Postby Mutt » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:28 am

if ya run into any problems, just post it here. Someone will help ya

Mutt
Mutt

Next

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running