Rust removal

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Rust removal

Postby stans48s » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 pm

I dug my 125 tank out of my storage shed, Event though it was in a wood cabinet it had some serious rust inside, even with the cap on. I took it to my molasses tank and in it went. In a couple weeks it will be rust free after a god rinse with water. If you mix one part molasses with 8-9 parts of water it eats rust, and nothing else. . Cast iron cylinders are not recommended it tends to remove some metal. Not much but it does. As it dries after rinsing it will flash rust. A primer is recommended. Stan
stans48s

Re: Rust removal

Postby Mike C. » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:24 pm

That's very interesting, Stan!

I never realized you could use molasses for that.

I've been using Evaporust last few years and the stuff is incredible! One of my friends introduced me to it. I don't want to sound like a commercial here, but this stuff is unbelievable. Anything rusted goes into the bucket or container filled with evaporust, and comes out RUST FREE like you wouldn't believe. It's like magic and doesn't take a long time to work.

It's also water based (you can add a little water if deeper depth is needed), non-toxic, and doesn't produce vapors.

The Super 10 motor I have was pretty much a solid block of rust inside; the cylinder and head had been removed years ago and the motor left outside apparently. I put the entire motor in a 5-gallon bucket filled with evaporust and left it there for a few weeks. Just checked it once in a while to see what was happening. Took it out, removed a few parts that had been freed up, then back in the tank. It really helps to restore stuff without damaging anything.

Same thing you mentioned re flash rusting once you take stuff out and rinse it off. Gotta lube it or protect it some other way to prevent it.

Again, I don't work for the company or have any stock in it! I was just blown away by how efficient this product is and wanted to share it in case anyone else was interested.

regards
Mike
Mike C.

Re: Rust removal

Postby stans48s » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:35 pm

I have heard of the stuff. I would like to try some. The reason I use molasses is when I found out about it is: If I buy 5 gal I can have almost 50 gallons of rust remover. I can put a whole rusted fender from my Plymouth and have a rust free fender in a couple weeks. If someone is in a hurry molasses is not the way to go. Stan
stans48s

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running