Fuel Petcock Question

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Fuel Petcock Question

Postby bcr751 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:58 pm

I am just about to try replacing the currently stuck fuel tank petcock in my Model 125. If I am successful in removing the stuck one (without damaging the tank), should I apply anything to the threads on the new one? I've heard Teflon tape won't work with petroleum products. Is there anything else I should use? I'm trying to avoid any possible leaks.

Doug
bcr751

Re: Fuel Petcock Question

Postby sureshotbob » Sat May 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Being a retired sprinkler fitter I've piped a lot off fuel lines and used Teflon tape and thread sealer many times.
There is also a tape that is made for gas lines.
sureshotbob

Postby hennesse » Sat May 04, 2019 9:36 pm

I use Permatex Thread Sealant with PFTE, which is roughly equivalent to using Teflon tape. But the tape is sometime cut by the threads, and part of it may end up floating around in the tank (and maybe clogging), so the paste is better. Use it sparingly - a little goes a long way.

Here's a link to Permatex: https://www.permatex.com/products/threa ... with-ptfe/
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby sureshotbob » Sun May 05, 2019 8:25 am

The thing about using Teflon tape is to start your tape back from the end a few threads.
There are pipe dope's made for fuel line's and as was said above a little go's a long way both for tape and pipe dope.
sureshotbob

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running