Rusted handlebar

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Rusted handlebar

Postby AStroh » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:59 pm

Hello.

I’m working on a 64 Pacer and have to remove the throttle cable from the handlebar. The internals of the right handlebar are so rustedI can’t get the screw to turn. Does anybody have any thoughts? I’m tempted to try to drill out in the center of the handlebar and hope it breaks loose. I’ve had the handlebar soaking in rust remover but everything Is“welded” together.

Thank for any suggestions.
AStroh

Re: Rusted handlebar

Postby billc » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:59 pm

put some heat on it. works wonders.
billc

Postby Backyard Bob » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:17 pm

Rust remover removes rust. Heat yes but first squirt a liberal amount of PB Blaster on the outside of the screw area and work some into the handle bars through the neck area. If you can tap the handlebar/throttle area with a brass hammer, or equivalent without damaging the bars, that's even better. In 'applying heat' I'd use a hand held propane torch and only heat it up enough to where it's extremely warm to the touch. If you've got a vise with aluminum or copper jaw covers clamp your bars in with the screw facing up afterwards. If you have access to a manual impact driver give it a couple of shots with a hammer. If it still won't come loose apply more PB Blaster and let it sit for a few days before giving the impact driver another shot. Drilling is last resort but if you do use a left hand drill bit. It can catch at the end and unscrew whats left of the screw.
Backyard Bob

Postby SteveCarr » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:31 am

That idea about the left handed drill bit is genius! I'll have to look for those in most common sizes.
SteveCarr

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running